WELCOME TO CEDAR CLASS!
Class Teachers: Mrs Simmonds (Monday & Tuesday) and Mrs Tweddle (Wednesday - Friday)
Teaching Assistant: Mr Payne
Welcome to the Spring term in Cedar Class and our new topic of 'Castles, Kings and Queens'. We are learning about castles locally, across the UK and around the world this half term, and moving on to learning about the Kings and Queens who might have lived in them after half term. Cedar Class is a fun classroom filled with opportunities to create and explore. We work hard to ensure our environment has opportunities to investigate the children's own interests alongside working more traditionally at tables.
This year we are a class of 27 year 1s and year 2s.
The children will be welcomed into school between 8:40am and 8:50am via the hall doors.
At 3:15pm we will be on the stage area of the top playground ready for you to pick them up. Because of the one way system, we kindly ask you to step around the stage so you are between the stage and Pine Class to collect your child so we don't block the route. Thank you. During collection time we are trying to maintain the slick pick ups we have had this year but should you need to talk to us, please let us know on Dojo and we will message you back or organise a follow up phone call.
We will have PE on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On these days, the children can wear their PE kits to school. During the winter months, please can the children wear tracksuit bottoms and jumpers.
Each child will be given 2 books on a Monday which can be returned on Friday after reading each of them. Ideally, the children need to read their books at least twice to build fluency. The children will be given a new reading record that can record what you do at home and at school so please send them in each day :-)
- Please can children have a named water bottle and clothing that is appropriate for the weather - sunhat and sunscreen applied or water proof coat.
- Please send in your reading records and books each day :-)
- A set of spare school clothes can be left at school on the children's peg in case of emergencies.
- Also wellies and suitable outdoor clothing (waterproof trousers if you have some) can be left in school as we love to use our outdoors areas as much as we can.
We post updates on ClassDojo daily – have a look at our class story to see what the children have been learning at school and to see any messages we have sent. Mrs Tweddle, Mrs Simmonds and Mr Payne can all be contacted via Class Dojo or by leaving a message with the school office. We will endeavour to reply to any messages as soon as we can.
Spring Term Quest: Castles, Kings and Queens
Each term we have a 'Quest' which is the focus for our learning. Our Quest for this term is Castles, Kings and Queens. It covers many varied topics and subjects, including:
- In our English we will focus on Fairy Tales and Fables, both the ones we know well and those we might not be so familiar with. We will work towards writing our own versions of these with new characters and events.
- Our Geography and History work will begin by thinking about castles in our locality, the UK and the wider world. We will use maps and globes to find out where they are, and think about why they might have been built there. We will investigate the features of castles and think about who might have lived in them and what life was like. We will focus on Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II when we think about monarchs, and compare the lives of these two queens.
- In Science we will be looking at and classifying different types of animals, then moving on to investigating senses after half term.
- In Art we will be experimenting with printing, before moving on to study the works of Clarice Cliff, whilst our ICT will focus on creating animations of our own fairy tales linked to our English work, and the creating presentations linked to our History and Geography work.
- Mrs Venn will be teaching Music and RE once a week and will link into our topic where she can.