WELCOME TO CEDAR CLASS!
Class Teachers: Mrs Simmonds (Monday & Tuesday) and Mrs Tweddle (Wednesday - Friday)
Teaching Assistant: Mr Payne
Welcome to Cedar Class and our exciting topic of 'Who Are We?' We are pleased that things will look a bit more normal this year and can't wait to work collaboratively with the pupils across the school! Cedar Class is a fun classroom filled with opportunities to create and explore. We work hard to ensure our environment has opportunities to investigate the children's own interests alongside working more traditionally at tables.
This year we are a class of 26, year 1s and year 2s.
The children will be welcomed into school between 8:40am and 8:50am via the hall doors.
At 3:15pm we will be on the stage area of the top playground ready for you to pick them up. Because of the one way system, we kindly ask you to step around the stage so you are between the stage and Pine Class to collect your child so we don't block the route. Thank you. During collection time we are trying to maintain the slick pick ups we have had this year but should you need to talk to us, please let us know on Dojo and we will message you back or organise a follow up phone call.
We will have PE on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On these days, the children can wear their PE kits to school. During the winter months, please can the children wear tracksuit bottoms and jumpers.
Each child will be given 2 books on a Monday which can be returned on Friday after reading each of them. Ideally, the children need to read their books at least twice to build fluency. The children will be given a new reading record that can record what you do at home and at school so please send them in each day :-)
- Please can children have a named water bottle and clothing that is appropriate for the weather - sunhat and sunscreen applied or water proof coat.
- Please send in your reading records and books each day :-)
- A set of spare school clothes can be left at school on the children's peg in case of emergencies.
- Also wellies and suitable outdoor clothing (waterproof trousers if you have some) can be left in school as we love to use our outdoors areas as much as we can.
We post updates on ClassDojo daily – have a look at our class story to see what the children have been learning at school and to see any messages we have sent. Mrs Tweddle, Mrs Simmonds and Mr Payne can all be contacted via Class Dojo or by leaving a message with the school office. We will endeavour to reply to any messages as soon as we can.
Autumn Term Quest: Who Are We?
Each term we have a 'Quest' which is the focus for our learning. Our Quest for this term is Who are we? It covers many varied topics and subjects, including:
- In our PSHE, we will be thinking about how we are different, appreciating each other and our differences and thinking about how we act in the classroom, home and then in the wider community.
- Our Geography and DT work will be begin by thinking about our homes, and using maps and compasses to map different local journeys. They will follow and write directions using simple directional language. We will also link these skills to the stories we are studying in English.
- In Science we are looking at different materials, carrying out investigations that are purposeful and will find answer questions relating to our stories and history topic of toys. We will discuss and look at toys the children love now and how they have developed in history. This will link nicely to our materials topic. At the end of the unit we will make a moving toy in DT.
- Mrs Venn will be teaching Music and RE once a week and will link into our topic where she can.